Baxter International Inc. (NYSE: BAX) today issued its 15 th annual Sustainability Report, available at http://sustainability.baxter.com, detailing the company's progress creating social, environmental and economic value by addressing the needs of stakeholders worldwide.
''Baxter’s vitality as a healthcare enterprise, and our ability to deliver on our commitments to our stakeholders, depends on our embrace of the new,'' said Robert L. Parkinson, Jr., Baxter's chairman and chief executive officer. ''This includes not only the scientific innovations that define our service to patients and caretakers; it also encompasses new ways of doing business that advance our goals as a publicly traded company and global corporate citizen.''
Baxter’s 2013 Sustainability Report highlights innovative programs such as:
- Reducing plastics waste by 9 percent per unit of production since 2011 at 20 facilities through a collaborative approach in which participating facilities share learnings and tools to improve efficiency and financial performance. Baxter is exploring how to use this approach to reduce other waste streams across the company. Additionally, Baxter’s Northampton, United Kingdom, distribution facility met its zero-waste-to-landfill goal in October 2012, and during 2013 the facility further improved waste sorting and increased employee awareness of waste generation at the site. Baxter is pursuing zero waste-to-landfill status at other locations.
- Initiating a community water project with a local non-governmental organization near the company’s Cuernavaca, Mexico, facility to build the community's capability to sustainably manage its water supply and sanitation systems at local schools. Engaging and educating the local community with tools on how to preserve this resource helps to ensure the long-term sustainability of the program. Baxter is also continuing a similar partnership near the company’s Canlubang, Philippines, facility to improve water, sanitation and hygiene conditions for local residents.
- Optimizing product transport through technology that helps transportation planners maximize the amount of weight per truckload. The reduction in truck shipments is expected to save 2,300 metric tons carbon dioxide equivalent of emissions. Baxter’s largest distribution center in the United States initially implemented this technology and the company plans to begin using the application at other U.S. facilities.
- Partnering with the Vinyl Council of Australia (VCA) to launch the VCA's PVC Recovery in Hospitals initiative in Australia, which collects used PVC medical products for recycling into new products, such as garden hoses, road cones and floor matting. Baxter Australia plans to expand the program in 2014 and has initiated a pilot in New Zealand. Baxter is exploring how this type of program may work in other countries and regions.
Comparative Life Cycle Assessment Demonstrates Environmental Benefits of Hemodialysis DevicesBaxter uses life cycle assessment (LCA) to evaluate the environmental performance of its products and determine ways to reduce environmental impact. To better understand the environmental impacts of hemodialysis, Baxter completed a comparative LCA in 2013 of the company’s VIVIA Hemodialysis System with two alternative hemodialysis (HD) devices, one conventional HD device from Baxter and one home HD device from another company. HD devices are used by some patients with end stage renal disease to filter their blood outside the body through a dialyzer (blood filter). The VIVIA system is designed to allow patients with kidney failure to perform High Dose HD therapy (more frequent or extended duration HD) at home, in part through extended uses of its dialyzer and blood set.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV