LAVAL, Quebec, June 25, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. ("Valeant") (NYSE: VRX) (TSX: VRX) today announced the filing of a preliminary proxy statement for a special meeting of shareholders, at which Valeant shareholders will consider and vote upon, among other things, a proposal to approve the issuance of Valeant common shares in connection with an acquisition of Allergan, Inc. ("Allergan") (NYSE: AGN). Valeant commenced an exchange offer for the common stock of Allergan on June 18, 2014.
"Today is another step forward in our pursuit of a combination with Allergan," said J. Michael Pearson, Valeant's chairman and chief executive officer. "Filing our preliminary proxy statement and holding a special meeting will give our shareholders a chance to show their support for our bid for Allergan and the value to be created in a combination with Allergan."
About Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. (NYSE/TSX: VRX) is a multinational specialty pharmaceutical company that develops, manufactures and markets a broad range of pharmaceutical products primarily in the areas of dermatology, eye health, neurology and branded generics. More information about Valeant can be found at www.valeant.com.Forward-looking Statements This communication may contain forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and Canadian securities laws. These forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding Valeant offer to acquire Allergan, its financing of the proposed transaction, its expected future performance (including expected results of operations and financial guidance), and the combined company's future financial condition, operating results, strategy and plans. Forward-looking statements may be identified by the use of the words "anticipates," "expects," "intends," "plans," "should," "could," "would," "may," "will," "believes," "estimates," "potential," "target," "opportunity," "tentative," "positioning," "designed," "create," "predict," "project," "seek," "ongoing," "upside," "increases" or "continue" and variations or similar expressions. These statements are based upon the current expectations and beliefs of management and are subject to numerous assumptions, risks and uncertainties that change over time and could cause actual results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements. These assumptions, risks and uncertainties include, but are not limited to, assumptions, risks and uncertainties discussed in the company's most recent annual or quarterly report filed with the SEC and the Canadian Securities Administrators (the "CSA") and assumptions, risks and uncertainties relating to the proposed merger, as detailed from time to time in Valeant's filings with the SEC and the CSA, which factors are incorporated herein by reference. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements we make in this communication are set forth in other reports or documents that we file from time to time with the SEC and the CSA, and include, but are not limited to:
- the ultimate outcome of the offer and the second-step merger, including the ultimate removal or the failure to render inapplicable the obstacles to consummation of the offer and the second-step merger described in the offer to exchange;
- the ultimate outcome and results of integrating the operations of Valeant and Allergan, the ultimate outcome of Valeant's pricing and operating strategy applied to Allergan and the ultimate ability to realize synergies;
- the effects of the proposed combination of Valeant and Allergan, including the combined company's future financial condition, operating results, strategy and plans;
- the effects of governmental regulation on our business or potential business combination transactions;
- the ability to obtain regulatory approvals and meet other conditions to the offer, including the necessary stockholder approval, on a timely basis;
- Valeant's ability to sustain and grow revenues and cash flow from operations in our markets and to maintain and grow our customer base, the need for innovation and the related capital expenditures and the unpredictable economic conditions in the United States and other markets;
- the impact of competition from other market participants;
- the development and commercialization of new products;
- the availability and access, in general, of funds to meet our debt obligations prior to or when they become due and to fund our operations and necessary capital expenditures, either through (i) cash on hand, (ii) free cash flow, or (iii) access to the capital or credit markets;
- our ability to comply with all covenants in our indentures and credit facilities, any violation of which, if not cured in a timely manner, could trigger a default of our other obligations under cross-default provisions; and
- the risks and uncertainties detailed by Allergan with respect to its business as described in its reports and documents filed with the SEC.