3 Stocks Pushing The Computer Hardware Industry Lower
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.The Computer Hardware industry as a whole closed the day down 1.0% versus the S&P 500, which was down 0.7%. Laggards within the Computer Hardware industry included Video Display (VIDE), down 1.5%, Interphase (INPH), down 7.4%, Astro-Med (ALOT), down 1.7%, Concurrent Computer (CCUR), down 2.4% and China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech (CNTF), down 2.2%.TheStreet Ratings Group would like to highlight 3 stocks that pushed the industry lower today:China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech (CNTF) is one of the companies that pushed the Computer Hardware industry lower today. China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech was down $0.03 (2.2%) to $1.36 on light volume. Throughout the day, 82,656 shares of China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech exchanged hands as compared to its average daily volume of 163,600 shares. The stock ranged in price between $1.30-$1.40 after having opened the day at $1.40 as compared to the previous trading day's close of $1.39. China Techfaith Wireless Communication Technology Limited is engaged in the original design, development, and sale of mobile handsets in the People's Republic of China and internationally. China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech has a market cap of $74.1 million and is part of the technology sector. Shares are down 16.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreet Ratings rates China TechFaith Wireless Comm Tech as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins.Highlights from TheStreet Ratings analysis on CNTF go as follows:
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Computers & Peripherals industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 1045.4% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $0.31 million to -$2.89 million.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Computers & Peripherals industry and the overall market, CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR is currently extremely low, coming in at 9.49%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -10.80% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- CNTF, with its decline in revenue, slightly underperformed the industry average of 2.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 6.2%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Stable Earnings per share over the past year indicate the company has sound management over its earnings and share float. During the past fiscal year, CHINA TECHFAITH WIRELESS-ADR continued to lose money by earning -$0.05 versus -$0.06 in the prior year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV