Oasis Petroleum (OAS) Is Water-Logged And Getting Wetter Today
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Oasis Petroleum (OAS) as a "water-logged and getting wetter" (weak stocks crossing below support with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Oasis Petroleum as such a stock due to the following factors:
- OAS has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $60.1 million.
- OAS has traded 1.0 million shares today.
- OAS traded in a range 215.2% of the normal price range with a price range of $2.49.
- OAS traded below its daily resistance level (quality: 12 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 12 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Water-Logged and Getting Wetter' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying negative price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, "support" while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves lower.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in OAS with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for OAS NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on OAS: Oasis Petroleum Inc., an independent exploration and production company, focuses on the acquisition and development of oil and natural gas resources in the North Dakota and Montana regions of the Williston Basin. OAS has a PE ratio of 15.0. Currently there are 15 analysts that rate Oasis Petroleum a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for Oasis Petroleum has been 1.5 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Oasis has a market cap of $5.4 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 2.04 and a short float of 10.6% with 8.77 days to cover. Shares are up 14.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Oasis Petroleum as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, compelling growth in net income and good cash flow from operations. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had generally high debt management risk by most measures that we evaluated.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 3.2%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 40.8%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 203.57% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 28.67% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- OASIS PETROLEUM INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, OASIS PETROLEUM INC increased its bottom line by earning $2.44 versus $1.66 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.11 versus $2.44).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry. The net income increased by 227.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $51.85 million to $169.95 million.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $208.27 million or 22.11% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, OASIS PETROLEUM INC has also modestly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 17.51%.
- You can view the full Oasis Petroleum Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV