SAN JOSE, Calif., June 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Extreme Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXTR), a leader in high performance networking, today announced its evolutionary software defined networking (SDN) platform to promote community led innovation. Extreme Networks believes customers should be able to migrate their existing (brownfield) networks to SDN without expensive forklift upgrades. Seamless SDN migration requires both an open, standards-based and comprehensive approach with strong community mindshare and robust vendor ecosystem support.
Extreme Networks' SDN platform is based on a comprehensive, hardened OpenDaylight (ODL) controller that uniquely includes: network management, network access control, application analytics and wireless controller technology. Extreme Networks' comprehensive approach preserves the integrity of the open API provided by ODL while extending data center orchestration, automation and provisioning to the entire network under a single pane of glass.
Extreme Networks' simple, fast and smart SDN platform tightly integrates with existing and multi-vendor hardware and software network environments, preserving customer investments and avoiding vendor lock-in. Backward compatibility is maintained with multi-vendor network infrastructure that conforms to the OpenFlow standard and other open APIs. Extreme Networks' OpenDaylight-based API, software development kit (SDK) and developer community will enable customers to evolve with the network to keep pace with emerging security, wireless and converged SDN infrastructure.
Extreme Networks' SDN Innovation Challenge To fuel innovation and mindshare, Extreme Networks, along with US Ignite, is announcing the Extreme SDN Innovation Challenge. The development initiative will award prizes for applications that leverage the Extreme Networks SDN platform that best drive innovation. Extreme Networks will extend its APIs to allow developers to create applications with a rich software development kit. The challenge starts in September 2014 and runs until May 2015 and is open to U.S. university students and US Ignite members in good standing.Key Facts
- On June 5, Extreme Networks joined OpenDaylight. Extreme Networks will contribute expertise in the areas of network management, network access control, application analytics and wireless LAN to the community.
- Extreme Networks' SDN platform will provide open and standards-based north and southbound APIs with controller support for OpenStack and OpenFlow, respectively. This versatile offering will enable customers to meet challenges in implementing SDN and evolve data center orchestration, automation and provisioning.
- Extreme Networks has shipped over 10 million SDN-ready ports and has over 40 ecosystem vendors compatible with its open and standards-based SDN platform.
- Extreme Networks SDN Solutions
- SDN Blog Post
- SDN Innovation Challenge Webpage
- Extreme Networks SDN Platform Brochure
- OpenDaylight Project Announcement
- July 16 Webinar: Demystifying Software Defined Networking (SDN)
- Connect with Extreme via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn and Google+
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV