SUNNYVALE, Calif., June 24, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Trimble (NASDAQ:TRMB) today announced Trimble® Document Controller Standard, a powerful and easy-to-use virtual construction management application that automates change detection between design iterations in both 2D design drawing sets and in 3D models created using Building Information Modeling (BIM) software. The new application allows project stakeholders to quickly understand design changes to better anticipate and mitigate issues that might increase cost or risk.
Document Controller Standard combines document management and constructability analysis capabilities—previously delivered only through Trimble's Vico Office Suite for 5D BIM. While Vico Office extends the basic 3D model with analysis of constructability materials, labor, scheduling and costs, Document Controller Standard is a standalone 2D/3D application designed for construction firms that simply need a better way to manage drawings and models.
"With the industry's growing adoption of BIM as a standard process, designers, builders and owners alike are challenged by the reality that construction projects can hover in both the 2D and 3D worlds," said Jon Fingland, business unit director of the General Contractor / Construction Manager Division of Trimble Buildings Group. "For most construction companies, the scope of a contract is illustrated in 2D drawings, while 3D models drive coordination and quantification efforts during the construction process. Document Controller Standard closes the gap between 2D drawings that are contractually binding and dynamic 3D models that must evolve and ease into BIM workflows in a way that can ensure long-term success."
Document Controller Standard capabilities include:
- 2D/3D change management — Design inputs from Tekla, SketchUp, ArchiCAD, Revit, CAD-Duct, or the IFC and 3D DWG formats are managed in a centralized repository that delivers the ability to automatically identify changes and discrepancies between multiple 2D design drawing sets and 3D models.
- Issues tracking — Basic clash detection, tolerance settings and issues resolution/coordination enable teams to identify constructability issues in the planning stage, before they occur in the field. Persistent markup capability ensures that issues are effectively communicated and tracked throughout the design-build-operate (DBO) lifecycle.
- Integrated reporting capabilities — Flexible and customizable reporting capabilities enable export to PDF, XLS and HTML formats to improve communication and collaboration with non-BIM users in the field.
- 2D/3D hybrid mode — The ability to map 2D documents to coordinated 3D models in a hybrid environment allows easy comparison of the documents as a final accuracy check before prefabrication and installation drawings are generated.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts