Jim Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Clear the Slate for Earnings Season
Sometimes unhealthy products can create healthy profits, Cramer told viewers, as he took a closer look at a tobacco industry in the middle of a consolidation wave.
Cramer said the just today we learned that Reynolds America (RAI), the number-two cigarette maker, is looking to merge with Lorillard (LO), the number-three maker. That would give the combined company 42% market share in the U.S., just behind Altria (MO), with just over 50%.
Love them or hate them, Cramer said cigarettes are good business, and as we've seen with the airlines, semiconductors, beer and countless other industries, when there are fewer players, profits soar. In this case, just two companies will control over 90% of the market, Cramer noted, and that can only lead to higher prices and higher margins.
Cramer said profits in Lorillard may be capped for the moment, but he's recommending both Reynolds, Altria and Phillip Morris Int'l
Continuing with his "Vice Night" theme, Cramer also took a look at the gambling stocks, offering viewers a fresh ranking of his favorites.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV