JACKSONVILLE, Fla., June 23, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- CSX Corporation (NYSE: CSX) today unveiled its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Report, showing continued progress in 2013 on the company's safety, environmental and community engagement initiatives. The full report – accessible on www.CSXCSR.com – details the company's financial performance and offers a comprehensive look at the markets CSX serves as well as progress related to sustainability, governance, corporate citizenship, and other initiatives.
"Corporate Social Responsibility is at the core of CSX's identity and helps drive our business success," said Michael J. Ward, chairman, president and chief executive officer. "Our CSR performance is fundamental to our vision to be the safest, most progressive North American railroad, relentless in the pursuit of customer and employee excellence. This report reflects our commitment to maintain transparency and accountability to our customers, employees, shareholders and the communities we serve."
The fourth edition of the company's CSR report highlights key accomplishments in 2013, including:
- Remained the nation's safest railroad, with the lowest rates of employee injuries;
- Achieved the company's most fuel efficient year ever – CSX can move a ton of freight 470 miles on a single gallon of fuel;
- Progressed toward our goal to reduce the company's greenhouse gas emissions intensity between 6 and 8 percent from 2011 levels by 2020;
- Hired more than 2,300 employees, about 30 percent of whom are military veterans;
- Collaborated with customers to develop 121 new or expanded facilities on the network, representing $3 billion in customer investments and more than 1,600 new job opportunities;
- Provided more than $16 million in corporate giving to communities;
- Logged more than 25,000 hours of employee volunteer time;
- Partnered with national and local organizations, including City Year, Future Farmers of America, American Red Cross, Alliance for Community Trees, Action For Healthy Kids, The Nature Conservancy, National Safe Place and Dignity U Wear.
- Invested $2.3 billion back into its 21,000 mile network toward maintaining and improving its existing infrastructure and to position itself for long-term growth through expanding network and terminal capacity.
CSX's 2013 CSR report was prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) G4 Sustainability Reporting Guidelines. GRI is a globally recognized reporting framework for environmental, social and governance performance. The content and direction of the report was informed, in part, by the issues considered most material to the company's stakeholders including employees, customers, investors, community and NGO partners, regulators and suppliers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV