At Holdings Channel, we have reviewed 3,692 13-F filings for the 03/31/2014 reporting period, and looked at the various S&P 500 components held by each of these reporting hedge funds and other 13-F filers. For each component, we totaled the number of shares across across all of these funds. Next, we went back to the 12/31/2013 period, and went through the same exercise for each of those 3,692 hedge funds. By comparing the same group across the two periods, we can see which S&P 500 components, in the aggregate, these particular hedge funds have been buying and selling.
One of the components that stands out with notable buying, is Applied Materials (AMAT). We should point out before going any further, that 13-F filings do not tell the whole story, because these funds are only required to disclose their long positions with the SEC, but are not required to disclose their short positions. A fund making a bearish bet against a stock by shorting calls, for example, might also be long some amount of stock as they trade around their overall bearish position. This long component could show up in a 13-F filing and everyone might assume the fund is bullish, but this tells only part of the story because the bearish/short side of the position is not seen.
However, we believe that looking at groups of 13-F filings can be an interesting exercise, especially when comparing one holding period to another. So, let's take a look at the change in AMAT positions across that group of 3,692 funds we have looked at that have filed for the 03/31/2014 period, versus back at their 12/31/2013 report. We found that between these two periods, hedge funds increased their holdings by 62,039,043 shares in the aggregate, from 1,031,857,476 up to 1,093,896,519 for a share count increase of approximately 6.01%.The overall top three funds holding AMAT on 03/31/2014 were:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV