We also expect to hear about upgraded tablets -- maybe a successor (possibly made by HTC) to the Nexus 7, a Nexus 10 to challenge the iPad Air and a some new Chromebooks/Chromeboxes, including a super-exclusive, top-of-the-line, second-generation Pixel 2.
We might even hear about an in-car computer system to rival Apple's new Car Play, an upgraded Chromecast video dongle, and we're bound to see the first examples of Google's modular smartphone system called Project Ara, but nicknamed the Lego phone because of its looks.
And, Google should have a lot more to say about Nest the home automation experts as well as Google Fiber, Google Satellites, Google Drones and all of the other projects the company is working on.
Seth Shafer, an analyst at SNL Kagan says he has no "secret insight" into what Google has planned but believes we'll hear at least three important announcements coming out of Google I/O conference:
- Launch of Android Wear, a Google operating system for wearable technology
- Launch of Google Fit, a health tracking service that competes with Apple's HealthKit service that it unveiled at its recent WWDC conference
- Update on the status of Google's smart home offerings and initiatives via Nest as well as the recently announced acquisition of Dropcam
In Q1/2014 Google announced earnings of $6.27 a share before costs (like the sales of its Motorola Mobility division to Lenovo) on gross revenues of $15.4 billion and net revenues of $12.19 billion after paying commissions to Web traffic partners but disappointing analysts who expected a profit of $6.33 a share on gross revenue of $15.6 billion.
Google is expected to release its second quarter numbers on or around July 17.
Apple's iWatch May Need FDA Approval - and That's a Good Thing
Oracle Inks $5.3B Deal for Micros
-- Written by Gary Krakow in New York.
To submit a news tip, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts