By Robbie Citrino for Kapitall.
With the announcements that the Federal Reserve will continue their current tapering strategy and keep interest rates low as inflation picks up, shares of high-risk stocks such as Netflix (NFLX), Tesla (TSLA), Fireeye (FEYE), and Solar City (SCTY) all jumped.
This switch to a greater risk alternative, over bonds and other vehicles, displays how shareholders are seeking out options that will continue to produce results as the bond market remains dry and unfruitful.
Since the Fed didn't exceed the market’s prediction with its bond purchase cutback, these stocks have seen a significant rebound from lows reached in April and May, during which time investors prepped for a switch to more stable alternatives.From their respective 2014 troughs, Tesla and Solar City have rebounded 27% and 42% respectively, while the broad S&P 500 (SPX) gained a less eye-popping 4.7%. The Russell 2000, an index of small-cap companies that's traditionally somewhat riskier but with higher growth potential, has gained almost 8% since its low in May. Flirting with record highs, this index has also expanded its price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio almost 40% (from 59 to 83) over the past year. The only question now is how long it will last. Could we see an increasing demand for risky tech, or will investors shy away as rates increase? We built this list of high-beta stocks with high gains on the news. Do you think they'll continue to outperform? Use the list below to begin your analysis. Click on the interactive chart to view data over time. 1. FireEye, Inc. ( FEYE, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides products and services for detecting, preventing, and resolving advanced cybersecurity threats. Market cap at $5.28B, most recent closing price at $37.72. Beta: 3.45 vs industry average of 1.04
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV