BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- U.S. stocks are pointing flat this morning, holding their ground after the big S&P 500 index shoved its way to a new all-time high on Friday. Year-to-date, the S&P now sits on 6.2% gains in 2014, a number that's starting to look a whole lot more solid after a slow start to the year for stock performance.
Despite the wide performance gap between this year and last (the S&P was up 16% by this time last year), nothing has changed from a big picture perspective in the big indexes. The S&P is still bouncing its way higher in the same well-defined uptrending channel that it's been in for the last 19 months or so. And while a small correction is starting to look more likely as the S&P approaches the top of that channel, we're still in a "buy the dips market."To take full advantage, we're turning to a fresh set of Rocket Stocks worth buying to beat the market this week. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 254 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 78.17%. >>5 Blue-Chip Stocks to Trade for Gains: Must-See Charts Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV