Large blocks of short-term calls appeared in the former high-flying tech name minutes into the session. The Weekly 55 calls expiring this Friday led the flow, with the initial blocks fetching 70 cents to $1.33, according to OptionMonster's scanners.
These long calls lock in the price where the three-dimensional printing stock can be purchased, letting investors cheaply position for a rally. They can also generate significant leverage, which is exactly what happened Monday.
3D's stock was up 3% when we posted our initial alert and continued higher throughout the session, ultimately closing with a 7.29% gain to $57.23. But that appreciation was insignificant compared with the calls, which more than doubled to $2.60 by the closing bell.The stock rallied about 800% between the start of 2012 and the beginning of this year, only to see half its value erased when the Nasdaq pulled back in the spring. Short interest represents about one-third of the float, which could trigger buying in the name. More than 7,000 of the Weekly 55s were bought by the end of the session, dwarfing the previous open interest of 1,173 contracts and therefore representing new positions. Some 4,100 Weekly 60 calls were also bought, mostly for 15 cents to 35 cents. Overall option volume in the name was six times average amounts, with calls accounting for a bullish 75% of the total. Russell has no positions in DDD.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV