NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of AstraZeneca Plc (AZN - Get Report) are slightly higher in active trading as the London-based biopharmaceutical company considers strategic options to thwart a takeover by Pfizer (PFE - Get Report), according to the Financial Times.
The company is considering selling the rights to some of its future revenues in a move that would boost its cash reserves, as it works with bankers to explore the sale of future income streams from some of its existing medicines, sources told the FT.
That would bring in billions of dollars in cash which could be returned to shareholders or used to fund R&D. It would also make the company less attractive to Pfizer, by denying it access to some future revenues in the event of a takeover, the FT said.
- AZN's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 5.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.9%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.48, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels.
- The gross profit margin for ASTRAZENECA PLC is currently very high, coming in at 90.79%. It has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, AZN's net profit margin of 7.66% significantly trails the industry average.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, AZN's share price has jumped by 45.23%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- ASTRAZENECA PLC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ASTRAZENECA PLC reported lower earnings of $2.04 versus $4.94 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.23 versus $2.04).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: AZN Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts