WHAT'S NEW: Owens Corning reduced its FY14 EBIT outlook to $416M from $500M as well as slashed its roofing volumes guidance for the first half of this year to be 20% lower than volumes in the same period of last year. The company expects to recover a portion of this volume shortfall in the second half of the year, but noted that continued weakness in the second quarter has introduced further uncertainty in the FY14 financial outlook for the company's roofing business. The company continues to see improvement in the year-over-year performance of both its insulation and composites businesses. Earnings growth in these two businesses is expected to more than offset the weaker financial performance in the roofing business year-over-year, Owens Corning noted.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: Three days ago, Goldman upgraded the building products sector to Attractive from Neutral based on reduced expectations and accelerating U.S. macroeconomic conditions. The firm said that non-residential construction is at an inflection and it expects existing homes sales growth to increase. As part of the sector change, the firm upgraded Armstrong World (AWI) to Conviction Buy from Buy and downgraded Ply Gem (PGEM) to Sell from Neutral.
OTHERS TO WATCH: Others in the building materials space include Masco Corporation (MAS), Beacon Roofing Supply (BECN) and Louisiana-Pacific (LPX).
PRICE ACTION: During morning trading, shares of Owens Corning fell $1.90 or 4.6%, to $39.40. Meanwhile, Masco was down 1.8% and Beacon Roofing Supply was down 3.6%.
Reporting by Gina Gioldassis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV