This story has been updated from 8:00 am ET to include a comment from Cantor Fitzgerald analyst in the eighth paragraph.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Apple's (AAPL) surging iPhone sales are a big reason why the Cupertino, Calif.-based company had better-than-expected fiscal-second quarter earnings and the next iPhone model may be even more important to the future of Apple, particularly with the introduction of iOS 8 and Continuity.
It's largely expected that Apple's next iPhone, which may be called the iPhone 6 or the iPhone Air, will be launched in the early fall, perhaps as soon as the second week of September. Intel (INTC), which partners with Apple on its Mac computers, is set to hold its Intel Developer Forum from Sept. 9 to Sept. 11, and historically, Intel has planned its developer forum within a few days of the new iPhone launch.
There's been speculation that Apple would move away from naming the next iPhone using a number, and instead, refer to it as the iPhone Air, following the successful launch of the iPad Air.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV