OptionMonster's tacking systems detected the purchase of 13,700 July 60 calls for 40 cents to 85 cents. Volume was 90 times previous open interest at the strike, which indicates that new money was put to work.
Long calls lock in the price where a stock can be purchased, which lets investors cheaply position for a rally. They can also produce considerable leverage if shares move in the right direction.
HCA rose 1.98% to $57.61 on Friday -- a new closing high -- and is up 50% in the last year. That makes it the best-performing member of the hospital-operator group on OptionMonster's ResearchLab market scanner. Investors have been piling into the stock on hopes that health-care reform will help its business over the long term.Total option volume was 32 times greater than average in the session, with overall calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 41-to-1 ratio. Russell has no positions in HCA.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV