NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- VICE, a global youth media company and leader in the production and distribution of creative content, has inked a distribution deal with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, a unit of 21st Century Fox
(FOXA)FOXA for the U.S. Digital distribution of its Sundance award winning film Fishing Without Nets.
The deal follows reports that Time Warner may be interested in acquiring Vice in a deal valued at as much as $2.2 billion. Fox holds a 5% stake in Vice.
Directed by Cutter Hodierne, Fishing Without Nets delves into the story of Khadir, portrayed by Abdikani Muktar, a Somali fisherman who is forced into the world of piracy in order to support his family during a period of polluted waters and difficult times. Complete with chilling depictions of the human condition, VICE teams with Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment to bring the film to its tech savvy and innovative young audiences.
Hodierne's first feature length film, originally a short film of the same name, was awarded the Directing Award for a U.S. Dramatic film at the 2014 Sundance Film Festival.
Twentieth Century Fox will be working with VICE to market and distribute the film digitally whereas Alamo Drafthouse and TUGG will be responsible for "overseeing theater engagements in select markets and manage influencer and crowd sourced screenings across the country" respectively.Fishing Without Nets will be available to audiences via limited theater showings as well as "same day to own on Digital HD, via rental on Video On Demand (VOD)" writes VICE in a press release earlier today, a distribution tactic providing audiences with a number of ways to access the film. This digital distribution deal catering to the tech savvy won't be the last. VICE states Fishing Without Nets is only the first of a series of films the company will produce and finance. Looks like VICE just may be changing the ways we want to watch movies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV