NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer says the S&P is at an all-time high again because of earnings from big name companies. FedEx (FDX), the world's largest goods transporter, did unbelievably well on Wednesday and showed that commerce is doing well.
Kroger (KR), the largest supermarket, Red Hat (RHT), the largest software-as-a-service stock, and Adobe (ADBE), one of the great growth stocks, are all saying things are going well. Cramer says when you put all this together, you get great earnings against a backdrop where the Fed is essentially on hold, which allows the market to climb.
Cramer says this is not multiple expansion, in which investors pay a lot for the same earnings. When a new earnings report comes out, investors can revise how much they are willing to pay for stocks. Cramer says this is why Federal Reserve Chairwoman Janet Yellen is right when she says stocks are not too elevated to go higher.
"We rate FEDEX CORP (FDX) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV