From what I can tell, the phone's 3-D capabilities and Firefly, the product-scanning feature are groundbreaking additions. But like the Kindle Fire, which was a direct response to Apple's iPad, Amazon's razor-blade model will continue to cut into the company's margins.
The device will sell. But investors shouldn't expect to see the any boost to the bottom line for many more years. The Fire Phone is no different from other launches. Don't forget Bezos' ambitions have been scattered.
He's launched e-books and e-readers. He took the fight to Apple in tablets. He's attacked Netflix
(NFLX) with his Prime movie streaming. He's recently launched a music streaming service to take on Pandora
(P). He's also working on his Amazon Fresh online grocery service, taking on supermarkets.
None of these projects have boosted the bottom line, where it matters. Investors are getting impatient.
The Fire Phone is yet another product aimed at increasing Amazon's "stickiness" with consumers. There's no doubt Bezos knows the endgame for his company. He's just not sharing what he envisions Amazon's true earnings potential to be. The fact that the stock is down 17% year to date suggests that he better start talking about Amazon's survival.At the time of publication, the author was long AAPL. Follow @Richard_WSPB
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff. >>How Amazon's Phone Is Different Than Anything Else It's Ever Done
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV