By James Dennin for Kapitall.
Google's (GOOGL) home automation side project funds startups like Nest, a company that makes "smart" smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
Due to the law of unintended consequences however, the company was forced to issue a recall in April after one of the features on the device malfunctioned.
The "wave" feature sounded like a good idea: wave your hand near the thermostat and it shuts off its alarm. Unfortunately, the sensors were too sensitive, and the devices were being silenced accidently. Nest has removed the feature and has taken the device back to market at a reduced price.As coverage of the issue points out, the easy-to-turn-off feature of the device was one of its selling points. Will its removal hit sales? Either way, analysts still believe there is strong demand for home-monitoring technology linked to smartphones. We decided to build a list of other companies working in the automation space. Could these small and large automation companies see disruption from startups like Nest? Use the list below to begin your analysis, and let us know what you think in the comments! Click on the interactive chart to view data over time. 1. ABB Ltd. ( ABB, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides power and automation technologies for utility and industrial customers worldwide. Market cap at $53.76B, most recent closing price at $23.27. 2. Rockwell Automation Inc. ( ROK, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides industrial automation power, control, and information solutions. Market cap at $17.41B, most recent closing price at $126.93. 3. Control4 Corporation ( CTRL, Earnings, Analysts, Financials): Provides automation and control solutions for the connected home. Market cap at $424.72M, most recent closing price at $18.03.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV