NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Ballard Power Systems Inc. (BLDP - Get Report) are higher by 4.45% to $4.33 in early trading on Thursday following the company's announcement it has signed a definitive agreement with Azure Hydrogen relating to an assembly license for Telecom Backup Power Systems in the Chinese market.
The agreement is valued at approximately $6 million over the 2014-2015 period, Ballard Power said.
Terms of the deal say Ballad Power will be the exclusive supplier of subsystems and fuel processors, and will receive royalties for each Telecom Backup Power System sold in China.
"The Telecom Backup Power market is a key growth driver for our business and is also a significant opportunity in China given the scale of the market and China's growing focus on clean energy technology," said Ballard CEO John Sheridan. Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC (BLDP) a SELL. This is driven by several weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. Among the areas we feel are negative, one of the most important has been poor profit margins." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The gross profit margin for BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 33.95%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of -25.16% is significantly below that of the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Electrical Equipment industry and the overall market, BALLARD POWER SYSTEMS INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- BLDP's debt-to-equity ratio is very low at 0.14 and is currently below that of the industry average, implying that there has been very successful management of debt levels. To add to this, BLDP has a quick ratio of 2.34, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Net operating cash flow has slightly increased to -$6.64 million or 5.14% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of -6.12%.
- This stock has increased by 67.83% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the future course of this stock, we feel that the risks involved in investing in BLDP do not compensate for any future upside potential, despite the fact that it has seen nice gains over the past 12 months.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: BLDP Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts