SEATTLE, June 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Tableau Software (NYSE: DATA) today announced the general availability of Tableau 8.2, an update that brings Tableau to Mac users around the world and adds a feature to help people tell stories with their data. With Tableau 8.2, Mac users will have a fully-featured analytics application that lets them ask questions of their data. Story Points will allow everyone to create interactive, data-driven stories that they can share with their organizations, networks and the world.
"Mac users now have simpler and more seamless access to their data using this new version of Tableau Desktop. It's specifically designed from the ground up to take advantage of the user interface and rich Retina displays that the Mac OS offers," said Chris Stolte, Chief Development Officer and co-founder of Tableau Software. "Another key feature of this release is Story Points, which will help people add extra context, flow and guidance to tell a more structured story with their data."
People are drowning in data – on the web, in spreadsheets and in databases. In order to take advantage of all of that data, people need to find new ways to harness it and unearth the insights that inform decisions. Tableau Story Points provides a vehicle to tell visually compelling, interactive narratives that bring insights and actions to life.
Customers using the Tableau 8.2 beta since April have this to say:
- "Tableau's Mac beta has allowed our creative team to collaborate closely with our BI analysts and marketers to develop a rich collection of professional, polished reports that showcase Allrecipes unique insights to our sales team, partners and the food media," said Grace Preyapongpisan, Vice President of Business Intelligence at Allrecipes.com. "Now our talented design teams can create and share polished, professional and insightful reports, which is critical for our success as a business and as a brand."
- "Our goal with deploying Tableau is a cultural change around data, where people are able to easily get to the data quickly, ask advanced questions, explore, tell stories and derive insights," said Anja Canfield-Budde, Director, Enterprise Data and Analytics, with University of Washington Information Technology. "We have been testing Tableau 8.2 to see how it will impact our existing dashboards. There are a couple of features we are particularly excited about, specifically Story Points and Tableau Desktop for Mac. As a large institution with diverse users of Tableau products, Tableau Desktop for the Mac and the ability to tell the stories behind the visualizations makes us super excited and productive."
- "Our clients pay us not only for our analysis, but for our guidance as to what it means and how to interpret it so they can better connect with their customers and grow their business," said Susan Baier, owner of Audience Audit. "Story Points allows me to walk my clients through a sequence of visualizations and accompanying highlights just as if I were in the room with them. It ensures that key insights aren't lost as the analysis is shared throughout their organizations. I am now incorporating Story Points into every project we conduct."
- "Story Points allows us to tell an entire visual story using just one screen," said Veronica Simoes, General Director at Tableau Brazil partner PATH. "We are also enjoying the improved maps and the new connection experience that makes creating joins between tables fast and much more intuitive."
- Tableau Desktop and Tableau Public on the Mac OS: The Mac version will have the same fast, visually compelling and powerful analytics capabilities available on Windows. It includes support for high-resolution Retina displays and both in-memory and live connectivity to data sources.
- Story Points: People will now have the power to tell interactive stories with their data. This feature allows people to combine worksheets and dashboards into stories that remain connected to the underlying data and change as the data changes – or as the views and dashboards change. The stories can then be published to Tableau Server, Tableau Online and Tableau Public so that anyone can view and engage with them directly in a browser or on a mobile device.
- Visual Data Window: Tableau 8.2 will include a redesigned data connection experience that will be simpler and more visual for users.
- Updated maps: Maps are updated and redesigned to be more beautiful and engaging than ever before.
- Tableau Server Improvements: Updates to the enterprise-class Tableau Server are designed to simplify administration and support for server deployments and make the end-user experience even more enjoyable.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV