RICHMOND, Va., June 19, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Dominion (NYSE: D) Virginia Power is again offering customers an opportunity to earn money this summer and help manage energy use with the Smart Cooling Rewards program. Nearly 100,000 Dominion customers participate and earn a $40 credit.
The program works by automatically cycling a customer's air conditioner or heat pump compressor on and off for defined intervals. Customers can enroll through Manage Your Account (MYA) or by calling 1-888-366-8280 . Customers needing more information or with questions about meeting the eligibility requirements can access FAQs here. You can also view a video of the how the project works.
"This program is an excellent way for our customers to automatically earn a credit on their energy bill, while helping to meet Virginia's growing energy needs," said Gianna Clark, vice president of Customer Service. "By easing the demand on the power grid, customers help control their costs while supporting grid reliability."
The Smart Cooling Rewards program will reduce the demand on the electrical system by approximately one kilowatt per home. That's the equivalent of turning off ten-100 watt light bulbs in each home.Here's how the Smart Cooling Rewards program works:
- Dominion will install an A/C cycling switch on a customer's outdoor cooling system. Since the work is performed on your outdoor unit, there is no need for an installation appointment. The equipment and installation are free.
- During periods of high electrical use between June 1 and September 30, Dominion may cycle participating customers' cooling systems on and off at defined intervals. Your fan will stay on, circulating already cooled air.
- Cycling times are limited to weekdays (no weekends or holidays) typically for 2-4 hours between the hours of 2 p.m. and 6 p.m.
- Customers may select two days per summer season to opt out of a cycling event and still be eligible for the incentive.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV