NEWARK, Calif., June 19, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- StemCells, Inc. (Nasdaq:STEM) reported positive interim results from its Phase I/II clinical trial of the Company's proprietary HuCNS-SC ® human neural stem cell platform in dry age-related macular degeneration (AMD) yesterday evening at the 12 th annual meeting of the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) in Vancouver, Canada.
- Interim trial results show a 65 percent reduction in the rate of geographic atrophy (GA) in the study eye when compared to the expected natural history of the disease as well as a 70 percent reduction in the rate of GA when compared to the control eye.
- GA is the progressive loss of two important retinal tissue layers, the photoreceptors and the retinal pigmented epithelium. This degeneration is the cause of vision loss in dry AMD.
- Interim results also indicate improvements in visual function, as measured by the ability to distinguish shades of light versus dark, also referred to as "contrast sensitivity."
- Contrast sensitivity was improved in four of the seven patients and remained stable in the other three patients.
- The interim analysis is based on a minimum follow up of at least 6 months and demonstrates a favorable safety profile for administration of the HuCNS-SC cells into the sub-retinal space of the study eye.
"The interim data are very encouraging from two separate perspectives. First, the reduction in the rate of geographic atrophy suggests the HuCNS-SC cells are affecting the underlying cause of AMD. Secondly, the data demonstrates there are increases in contrast sensitivity, which is a vital aspect of visual function," said Stephen Huhn, M.D., FACS, FAAP, vice president, CNS clinical research and chief medical officer at StemCells, Inc. "Impacting the progression of GA and enhancing visual function could have a very meaningful impact on the quality of life for AMD patients and the results to date strongly support our plans to initiate a randomized, controlled, Phase II proof-of-concept trial later this year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV