NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Yahoo! (YHOO) are up roughly 2% to start the week, after Gene Munster, managing director and senior research analyst at Piper Jaffray, upgraded the stock to buy from hold and raised its price target to $43 from $37.
On CNBC's "Cramer's Mad Dash" segment, TheStreet's Jim Cramer, co-manager of the Action Alerts PLUS portfolio, added that Munster doesn't believe the Alibaba (soon to IPO as BABA) valuation is priced into Yahoo!, which owns a 22.6% stake in the Chinese e-commerce company.
Cramer said that this summer will be filled with analysts and investors playing the "guessing game," trying to figure out Alibaba's valuation and what it means to Yahoo!.
Along with wondering how much Alibaba would be worth, he asked how CEO Marissa Mayer would spend the money.Co-host David Faber said there is a good chance investors will get to see another earnings quarter from Alibaba's business before the IPO, when Yahoo! reports its earnings results and sheds some light on Alibaba. "My advice," Cramer said, "be long Yahoo!."
-- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell Profit on Call Options: Coca-Cola, ExxonMobil, Home Depot, Pepsi Ford and GM Sales Decline as May Steals Days from June Bullard: A Hawk at the Fed?; Parsing Markit Data: Best of Kass Six Flags Rewards Investors Post-Bankruptcy
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV