NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Yingli Green Energy
(YGE - Get Report) shares are climbing, up 1.9% to $4.03, on Wednesday after posting a significantly narrower loss during its first quarter earnings period despite missing analysts projections for the quarter.
The vertically integrated photovoltaic product manufacturer posted a first quarter loss of 35 cents per diluted share, 11 cents worse than analysts expectations of 24 cents, but better than the 62 cents per share it lost a year ago.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO as a Sell with a ratings score of D. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO (YGE) a SELL. This is driven by a number of negative factors, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and poor profit margins."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 29.57 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company. To add to this, YGE has a quick ratio of 0.57, this demonstrates the lack of ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO is currently extremely low, coming in at 12.12%. Despite the low profit margin, it has increased significantly from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, YGE's net profit margin of -20.67% significantly underperformed when compared to the industry average.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, we do not believe this stock offers ample reward opportunity to compensate for the risks, despite the fact that it rose over the past year.
- YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO has improved earnings per share by 35.6% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, YINGLI GREEN ENERGY HLDGS CO continued to lose money by earning -$2.05 versus -$3.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings (-$0.52 versus -$2.05).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: YGE Ratings Report