NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I was talking today with Stephanie Link, co-portfolio manager of Action Alerts PLUS, about two seemingly unrelated pieces of news in the oil patch that point to a similar but very long-term theme.
First, we have Noble Energy (NBL) buying fully 50% of 17 leases BP (BP) owns in the Gulf of Mexico. At the same time, Ensco (ESV) signed an agreement to contract one of its most sophisticated deep-water rigs to Total (TOT) for five years to work in the waters of off-shore Angola at a new high price for deep-water day rates
The common denominator here is deep-water drilling, but both of these deals run against the grain in different ways. For Noble, which is already deeply involved in shale oil production in the Wattenberg, it is fascinating for the company to make a new long-term commitment to the Gulf of Mexico instead of devoting more of its resources to furthering its reach in other U.S. shale plays.
Similarly, Total has been only slowly and carefully increasing its production profile. By paying this record sum for this deep-water drilling rig, it is committing strongly to off-shore production growth as opposed to onshore opportunities.
One thing that both Noble and Total seem to be saying is they believe the best long term opportunities don't appear to be on dry land.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV