TheStreet's technology editor Chris Ciaccia explains how Amazon's new Firefly app works:
Bezos unveiled a new feature known as Firefly, which can recognize over 100 million items, such as a CD, song, book, game, food or other item. For a instance, if a user sees a CD, a song from it can be played on Amazon on another music app such as Pandora or iHeartRadio. Users can scan a book using Firefly, and then purchase it.
While there's no question Firefly looks really cool, as far as I know Bezos neglected to mention that one of its niftiest features is hardly new at all. In fact, if you own an iPhone from Apple (AAPL) with recent iOS software and the Amazon shopping app installed, you can already scan an item -- bar code or the actual item itself -- and proceed to purchase it from Amazon. All you have to do is use the "Flow" feature.
So, if you follow me, Amazon built a feature into its, by the looks of it, excellent all-purpose, though shopping-centric Firefly app that's been available on Apple's iPhone only to tout that feature as a cornerstone of its "new" Firefly app set to debut on Fire phone. It makes me wonder if the Bezos strategy of knocking off hardware isn't getting just a bit old. You can read my rationale around that point in Apple Executing a More Powerful Strategy Than Amazon.
WATCH: More tech videos on TheStreet TV Follow @mynameisrocco --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV