American Home Products Meets Expectations; Sets Huge Fen-Phen Charge
Drug maker American Home Products (AHP) reported fourth-quarter earnings Thursday that matched Wall Street's expectations.
The maker of pharmaceuticals, consumer health care and agricultural products reported earnings of $704.3 million, or 53 cents a share, compared with $602.7 million, or 46 cents a share, in the same quarter one year before. The results matched a consensus estimate of 19 Wall Street analysts polled by First Call/Thomson Financial.
However, the Madison, N.J.-based company also said it would take a higher-than-expected charge of $7.5 billion due to a lawsuit settlement for Fen-Phen, a popular slimming drug that has been linked with certain pulmonary and heart problems. The company originally estimated that the lawsuit would cost the company $4.75 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV