WHAT'S NEW: A bid for Shire by Allergan is imminent, wrote SunTrust analyst John Boris in a note to investors earlier today. An acquisition of Shire would be more advantageous for Allergan shareholders than the proposed hostile takeover of the company by Valeant (VRX), Boris contended. An acquisition of Shire would boost Allergan's stock more than a Valeant deal, and would enable Allergan's shareholders to avoid the risk of holding Valeant's stock, the analyst stated. Following an acquisition of Shire by Allergan, the combined company would have sustainable, transparent revenue growth of about 10%, a diversified sales mix, high value research and development programs and a tax inversion, the analyst believes. Additionally, the transaction would boost Allergan's profit by 50% in its first year and would enable its profit growth to accelerate significantly, according to Boris. He kept a $200 price target and Buy rating on Shire shares.
ALSO TODAY: Valeant announced that it has commenced an exchange offer for Allergan, taking its buyout proposal directly to stockholders. Under the terms of the offer, Allergan stockholders would be able to elect to exchange each of their Allergan shares for $72 in cash and 0.83 Valeant common shares, or an amount of cash, or a number of Valeant common shares, in each case subject to proration. The offer is scheduled to expire at 5:00 p.m., New York City time, on August 15.
WHAT'S NOTABLE: On June 16, Reuters reported that Shire had hired Citigroup (C) as an adviser to prepare for takeover bids. Bankers believe that Shire could be an attractive takeover target for Bristol Myers (BMY), Abbvie (ABBV), Gilead (GILD), Biogen (BIIB) or Amgen (AMGN), the news service reported.PRICE ACTION: In early trading, Shire is up 4%, or $6.61, to $193.77 while Allergan is up 1%, or $1.27, to $161.80. Valeant is little changed at $118.90. Reporting by Larry Ramer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV