NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- EnteroMedics (ETRM) surged Wednesday after the medical device developer announced a Food and Drug Administration panel had voted positively on VBLOC vagal blocking therapy for obesity treatment.
The FDA's Advisory Gastroenterology and Urology Devices Panel, or GUDP, voted 8 to 1 in favor that the device is safe when used as designed and 4 to 5 "against" on the subject of reasonable assurance of efficacy. The final vote was 6 to 2 in favor, with one abstention, of VBLOC's benefits outweighing the risks.
The FDA does not have to follow the GUDP's recommendation, but it will factor it in when reviewing the Maestro System Premarket Approval (PMA). EnteroMedics expects a decision on PMA approval later this year.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. The stock was up 15.78% to $1.76 at 10:21 a.m. Nearly 11 million shares had changed hands, which beat the average volume of 1,329,210. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV