NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of FedEx Corp.
(FDX) are up 3.70% to $145.50 in pre-market trading on Wednesday after reporting earnings of $2.46 per diluted share for the fourth quarter ended May 31, versus $2.13 per diluted share in the same period a year ago.
The average estimate of analysts surveyed by Thompson Reuters was $2.36.
Revenue rose to $11.8 billion in the fiscal fourth quarter compared with $11.4 billion a year ago, beating the consensus analyst estimate of $11.66 billion.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
Looking forward, FedEx projects fiscal 2015 earnings in the range of $8.50 to $9.00 per diluted share versus the average analyst estimate of $8.76 in the period.
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates FEDEX CORP as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate FEDEX CORP (FDX) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance, growth in earnings per share and increase in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 3.2%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.31, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. To add to this, FDX has a quick ratio of 1.64, which demonstrates the ability of the company to cover short-term liquidity needs.
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 42.79% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- FEDEX CORP has improved earnings per share by 8.8% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FEDEX CORP reported lower earnings of $4.92 versus $6.41 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($6.68 versus $4.92).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Air Freight & Logistics industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 4.7% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $361.00 million to $378.00 million.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: FDX Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.