NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of Covidien Plc (COV - Get Report) are up 1.35% to $89.31 in pre-market trade after Barclays Plc (BCS) downgraded the company to "equalweight" from "overweight" while increasing its price target to $93. from $82, based on its deal with Medtronic, Inc. (MDT - Get Report).
Separately, TheStreet Ratings team rates COVIDIEN PLC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate COVIDIEN PLC (COV) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its growth in earnings per share, increase in net income, revenue growth, notable return on equity and reasonable valuation levels. Although the company may harbor some minor weaknesses, we feel they are unlikely to have a significant impact on results."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- COVIDIEN PLC has improved earnings per share by 21.3% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past year. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, COVIDIEN PLC increased its bottom line by earning $3.40 versus $3.37 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.00 versus $3.40).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income increased by 0.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $439.00 million to $441.00 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 3.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, COVIDIEN PLC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: COV Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts