More than 20,000 August 60 calls traded in a strong buying pattern Wednesday, with almost all of them going for 15 cents to 30 cents, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. Open interest in the strike was just 1,309 contracts before the trades hit, indicating that new positions were established.
These long calls lock in the price where the stock can be purchased through mid-August no matter how far it might climb. They could be sold earlier at a profit if premiums rise with a rally before then, providing potentially significant leverage, but the contracts will expire worthless if shares remain below $60.
Con Edison gained 1.73% on Wednesday to close at $56.48, just off its session high. The New York utility company fell sharply after reporting quarterly results in early May but found support at the $54 level and has been trying to rebound since. It also has a dividend yield of about 4.5%.Total option volume topped 28,000 Wednesday, more than 40 times its daily average for the last month. Overall calls outnumbered puts by 42 to 1, a reflection of the session's bullish sentiment. Yamamoto has no positions in ED.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV