Here are 10 things you should know for Thursday, June 19:
1. -- U.S. stock futures were rising marginally on Thursday after the Federal Reserve signaled that interest rates would remain at record lows for a "considerable time."
European stocks rose while Asian stocks ended Thursday's session mixed. Japan's benchmark Nikkei 225 jumped 1.6%.
2. -- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Thursday includes weekly initial jobless claims at 8:30 a.m. EDT, the Philadelphia Fed Index for June at 10 a.m., and leading indicators for May at 10 a.m.
3. -- U.S. stocks on Wednesday finished with gains after remarks from the Federal Open Market Committee infused U.S. markets with renewed vigor. The S&P 500 booked a new record high, fueled by the Fed's assurances the economic recovery still has legs.
The S&P 500 rose 0.77% to 1,956.98 and the Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.58% to 16,906.62. The Nasdaq rose 0.59% to close at 4,362.84.
4. -- The board of American Apparel (APP) voted to oust founder Dov Charney as chairman and notified him of its intent to remove him as president and CEO, following a contractually required 30-day period before he can be terminated.
The board's statement said that the proposed firing is for cause, and cited an "ongoing investigation into alleged misconduct," without giving details.
Charney has been the subject of several lawsuits alleging inappropriate sexual conduct with female employees. He has acknowledged having sexual relationships with workers, but said they were consensual.
The outage, which affected users from around the world, lasted about 17 minutes. The cause of the outage wasn't known. A Facebook spokesperson told CNBC that it had "experienced an issue" that prevented people from posting to the site for a brief period of time. "We resolved the issue quickly, and we are now back to 100%. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused," the spokesperson said.
7. -- General Electric (GE) will propose selling its rail signaling business to Alstom's transport arm and have Alstom remain a shareholder of its power grid business in an improved offer for the energy arm of Alstom, French daily Le Figaro reported. GE France declined to comment to Reuters on Le Figaro report. General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt is due on Thursday to unveil to the French government and unions an improved offer for the energy arm of Alstom, a source close to the U.S. conglomerate told Reuters. 8. -- Smartphone maker BlackBerry (BBRY) is expected by analysts to post a first-quarter loss of 26 cents a share on revenue of $963.2 million.
9. -- Shares of Amazon.com (AMZN) rose 2.7% on Wednesday after the company released the Fire phone, a new smartphone that will be closely tied to the products and services it sells via its new Firefly feature. It also has the ability to render images in 3-D. 10. -- TE Connectivity, the Swiss company formerly known as Tyco Electronics, reached a deal to buy Measurement Specialties (MEAS), a sensor maker, for about $1.7 billion, including debt.
Larry Ellison Wants to Make Oracle King of the Cloud
Apple Unveils Latest iMac, Starting at $1,099
United Leads in China but American and Delta Want Bigger Shares -- Written by Joseph Woelfel To contact the writer of this article, click here:Joseph Woelfel To submit a news tip, send an email to:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV