- Hull wins in the Non-European countries category for his invention of the original 3D printing technology
ROCK HILL, S.C., June 17, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- 3D Systems (NYSE:DDD) announced today that Chuck Hull is the recipient of the 2014 European Inventor Award in the non-European countries category in recognition of his invention of the original 3D printing technology, Stereolithography (SLA ®). Presented annually by the European Patent Office (EPO), the award honors inventors who have made significant contributions to technological progress and the advancement of society.
A photo accompanying this release is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=25972Hull's pioneering work in additive manufacturing has led to the birth an entirely new industry. In addition to his invention of Stereolithography, Hull also co-created the gold standard in 3D printing connectivity with CAD formats, the STL file format. Beyond his 18 European patents for which he was recognized today, Hull holds 76 US patents and 14 Japanese patents. As the EPO suggests, 3D printing technology "could one day become one of the biggest advances in manufacturing since the industrial revolution." Since his development of the SLA printing method, 3D printers have been embraced by a diverse range of industries from aerospace to automotive, healthcare and jewelry manufacturing. The ongoing success of this technology continues to impact everyone from students and teachers to makers and innovators in a revolutionary way. "I was thinking about how this came to be and I'd really like to thank the hundreds and hundreds of scientists and engineers who have helped bring 3D printing to the world as we know it today," said Chuck Hull, Founder and Chief Technology Officer, 3DS. "When I started 30 years ago, I didn't envision the many ways 3D printing would change the way we design, create and make, and the impact it has on our lives."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV