NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- RF Micro Devices
(RFMD - Get Report) shares are climbing, up 3.5% to $10.18, on Tuesday after the radio frequency solutions provider announced that the applicable waiting period under the U.S. Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976 in reference to its previously announced merger with TriQuint Semiconductor
(TQNT) had expired with no action taken by the Federal Trade Commission or the Department of Justice.
The HSR Act stipulates that parties looking to merge cannot do so until they have made a detailed filing with regulators at the FTC and Justice Department who have a set period of time to file objections to the merger if they have any.
TriQuint shares are also rising, up 2.6% to $16.84 today.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates RF MICRO DEVICES INC as a Hold with a ratings score of C+. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate RF MICRO DEVICES INC (RFMD) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's revenue growth has not been good."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- RF MICRO DEVICES INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. This trend suggests that the performance of the business is improving. During the past fiscal year, RF MICRO DEVICES INC turned its bottom line around by earning $0.05 versus -$0.20 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.76 versus $0.05).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 93.4% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$15.96 million to -$1.05 million.
- 46.80% is the gross profit margin for RF MICRO DEVICES INC which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of -0.40% is in-line with the industry average.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, RF MICRO DEVICES INC's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 100.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 94.60% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RFMD Ratings Report