NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- GW Pharmaceuticals (GWPH) surged to a 52-week high of $89.48 on Tuesday after the British biotech company reported positive safety and efficacy data from its epilepsy treatment drug Epidiolex.
The data from an efficacy group of 27 patients showed those who took the drug displayed a 44% median overall reduction in seizure frequency over 12 weeks. A total of 22% of patients had a 90% reduction and 15% had no seizures whatsoever. The data from a safety group of 62 patients showed at least one adverse event occurred in 81% of patients, though 80% of those events were mild to moderate.
The stock was up 13.93% to $88.01 at 12:58 p.m. More than 2.5 million shares had changed hands by that point, which surpassed the average volume of 876,645.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV