What To Sell: 3 Sell-Rated Dividend Stocks FLY, DCIX, GOOD
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends which could subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Sell." Fly Leasing (NYSE: FLY) shares currently have a dividend yield of 7.10%. FLY Leasing Limited, together with its subsidiaries, is engaged in purchasing and leasing commercial aircraft under multi-year contracts to various airlines worldwide. As of April 8, 2014, it operated a fleet of 119 commercial jet aircrafts. The company has a P/E ratio of 56.24. The average volume for Fly Leasing has been 167,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Fly Leasing has a market cap of $582.0 million and is part of the diversified services industry. Shares are down 12.8% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Monday. TheStreet Ratings rates Fly Leasing as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself, feeble growth in its earnings per share, deteriorating net income, generally high debt management risk and disappointing return on equity. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The share price of FLY LEASING LTD -ADR has not done very well: it is down 14.24% and has underperformed the S&P 500, in part reflecting the company's sharply declining earnings per share when compared to the year-earlier quarter. Looking ahead, other than the push or pull of the broad market, we do not see anything in the company's numbers that may help reverse the decline experienced over the past 12 months. Despite the past decline, the stock is still selling for more than most others in its industry.
- FLY LEASING LTD -ADR has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, FLY LEASING LTD -ADR reported lower earnings of $1.67 versus $1.79 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 40.1% in earnings ($1.00 versus $1.67).
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Trading Companies & Distributors industry. The net income has significantly decreased by 89.2% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, falling from $32.85 million to $3.56 million.
- The debt-to-equity ratio is very high at 3.38 and currently higher than the industry average, implying increased risk associated with the management of debt levels within the company.
- Current return on equity is lower than its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of weakness within the company. Compared to other companies in the Trading Companies & Distributors industry and the overall market, FLY LEASING LTD -ADR's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full Fly Leasing Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts