The 13 Most Dangerous Cities in America
Updated from 6/19 to correct miscalculation of per capita results. The rankings, however, remain the same.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- America is becoming safer with daily instances of crime on the decline even as events of mass violence make headlines with increasing frequency.
National law enforcement agencies saw an average 5.4% decrease in the number of violent crimes reported over the six months to June 2013, the most recent data from the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Over that period, murder rates dropped 6.9% with an 18.5% drop in cities with populations of one million and over. In fact, every crime class from arson to aggravated assault saw the number of reported instances drop from 2012 to 2013.
Even as the overall frequency of crime falls, in pockets of communities in the U.S. there still remains an alarming degree of crime with statistics exposing a darker underbelly to even the most pleasant regions.To study the prevalence of crime in individual communities, we turned to the FBI's Preliminary Semiannual Uniform Crime Report (January-June 2013) in which the agency compiles police reports from all U.S. cities with more than 100,000 residents. To determine where the highest rate of incidents occur, TheStreet calculated the frequency of crime per capita. The results are based on the total number of instances of reported crimes per 100,000 residents with no weight given to crimes more violent or destructive in nature and figures rounded where the result was not a whole number. Beginning with the thirteenth most dangerous city in America... #13: Chattanooga, Tennessee Population est. (2013): 171,541 Total reported instances: 6,116 Murder per 100,000 residents: 7 Robbery per 100,000 residents: 126 Rape per 100,000 residents: 16 Property crime per 100,000 residents: 3,077
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV