DALLAS, June 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Southwest Airlines (NYSE: LUV) released its fifth annual award-winning integrated report to highlight how the carrier is working to achieve its vision to become the World's Most Loved, Most Flown, and Most Profitable Airline. The 2013 Southwest Airlines One Report uses a triple bottom line approach that takes into account the carrier's performance and productivity, the importance of its People and the communities it serves, and its commitment to efficiency and the Planet, which can be found exclusively online at southwestonereport.com or southwest.com/citizenship. To view and download photos from the One Report, visit swamedia.com. To read a behind-the-scenes blog post authored by one of the Employees featured in the 2013 One Report, please visit the NUTS About Southwest blog.
"We're pleased to announce the Southwest Airlines 2013 One Report, which highlights the many milestones Southwest Airlines achieved this past year, from an unmatched 41 st consecutive year of profitability, to significant steps in our fleet modernization, to our inaugural service to destinations beyond the continental United States," said Gary Kelly, Southwest Airlines Chairman, President, and CEO. "The People of Southwest Airlines are committed to connecting people to what's important in their lives through friendly, reliable, and low cost air travel, and the 2013 One Report shares that story."
Interesting statistics that can be found in the 2013 One Report include:
- PERFORMANCE: Southwest Airlines achieved record revenues of $17.7 billion in 2013, boosted by strong yields and an 80.1 percent load factor. Through the combination of stable fuel prices and rigorous cost control efforts, the Company met its goal to improve cost performance. Despite a roller coaster economy, the Company achieved record earnings, and, while just short of its 15 percent pre-tax return on invested capital (excluding special items) (ROIC) target, produced the best pre-tax ROIC since 2000.
- PEOPLE: Southwest Airlines Employees volunteered more than 144,000 hours, which is enough time to fly between Orlando International Airport and San Juan Luis Munoz Marin International Airport— one of Southwest's first near-international routes—52,364 times.
- PLANET: By continuing to improve our fuel efficiency from 2012 to 2013, we saved nearly 60 million gallons of jet fuel—that's equivalent to approximately 9,900 roundtrip flights between Chicago Midway (MDW) and Las Vegas (LAS) while at the same time achieving an absolute decrease in greenhouse gas emissions.
Southwest Airlines' award-winning One Report adheres to the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) and features parallel CDP (formerly Carbon Disclosure Project) reporting that covers effective management of environmental risks, focusing on greenhouse gas emissions and climate change strategies.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts