NEW YORK (The Deal) -- Kindred Healthcare (KND) is having another go at acquiring its reluctant target, Gentiva Health Services (GTIV), by launching an all-cash tender offer to acquire all outstanding shares of the company's common stock for $14.50 per share.
Kindred, the largest post-acute care health services provider in the U.S., announced its renewed interest Monday after the market close.
The new bid is an all-cash offer for a total equity value of about $573 million, which comes to $1.7 billion when Gentiva's debt is added in. If Gentiva refuses, Kindred said it "intends to amend the offer to seek to purchase 14.9% of Gentiva's outstanding shares," thus overcoming Gentiva's poison pill by becoming its largest shareholder.
The 14.9% share purchase would cost Kindred about $80 million, according to an SEC filing.Gentiva, of Atanta, is the nation's largest provider of home health and hospice services. Together, the two companies could create a comprehensive platform to develop the value- and risk-based service models that experts believe the Affordable Care Act will require. That's why Louisville-based Kindred is champing at the bit to get control of the company. "We remain confident that uniting our two highly complementary businesses would create a unique platform for coordinated patient care and deliver compelling clinical, strategic and financial benefits for all stakeholders," Kindred chairman and CEO Paul Diaz said in a Monday conference call with investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV