NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- John Wiley & Sons
(JW.A) released its fourth quarter earnings before the bell onTuesday, reporting earnings and revenue ahead of analysts expectations for the quarter.
The academic publishing company reported a 2% year over year revenue increase to $457 million, ahead of analysts $441 million estimates.
The company also reported earnings of 77 cents per share, up 6 cents from the previous year's earnings.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks
TheStreet Ratings team rates WILEY (JOHN) & SONS as a Buy with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate WILEY (JOHN) & SONS (JW.A) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its expanding profit margins, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and solid stock price performance. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The gross profit margin for WILEY (JOHN) & SONS is currently very high, coming in at 74.70%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 11.46% trails the industry average.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, JW.A's share price has jumped by 43.11%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Looking ahead, the stock's sharp rise over the last year has already helped drive it to a level which is relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. We feel, however, that other strengths this company displays justify these higher price levels.
- The current debt-to-equity ratio, 0.56, is low and is below the industry average, implying that there has been successful management of debt levels. Although the company had a strong debt-to-equity ratio, its quick ratio of 0.82 is somewhat weak and could be cause for future problems.
- WILEY (JOHN) & SONS's earnings per share declined by 7.4% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has suffered a declining pattern of earnings per share over the past two years. However, we anticipate this trend to reverse over the coming year. During the past fiscal year, WILEY (JOHN) & SONS reported lower earnings of $2.39 versus $3.48 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($2.95 versus $2.39).
- JW.A, with its decline in revenue, underperformed when compared the industry average of 14.8%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly dropped by 3.1%. The declining revenue appears to have seeped down to the company's bottom line, decreasing earnings per share.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: JW.A Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.