Story updated at 9:55 a.m. to reflect market activity.
Morgan Stanley gained 0.9% to $31.99 in morning trading.
The form maintained its "equal weight" rating for the stock. Morgan Stanley has focused on shifting its business mix, and is improving its capital and liquidity position according to analysts Jason M. Goldberg and Kenneth Hill."We believe its Investment Bank and Equities Sales & Trading are leveraged to improvements in the current backdrop, can see FICC retooling is well underway, anticipate continued growth in both Wealth and Investment Management, and understand it remains focused on expenses (comp & non-comp)," the analysts wrote. "Still, we believe additional progress from its 'bank' strategy and much more aggressive capital management on a micro level, and increases in market volumes/volatility and higher short-term interest rates from a macro perspective, are required for a double-digit ROE." Must read: Warren Buffett's 25 Favorite Stocks STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV