NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Buffeted by slow growth and too few jobs, Americans now have to deal with more inflation. In May, consumer prices rose at more than a 4% annual pace, and inflation has been heating up the last several months.
Rapid growth in China is boosting demand for agricultural products, and prices are up for beef, pork and other food products. Core inflation -- prices less food and energy -- remained fairly subdued for several years, but now is accelerating.
Americans may be facing inflation greater than 3% or even 4% for the balance of this year and next.
The Federal Reserve will be faced with a Hobson's choice -- tighten credit to combat inflation or continue printing more money in hopes of igniting growth.Here are five things to know about higher inflation. 1. More Money Won't Boost Growth Slow growth and the causes of the financial crisis have not been fixed. Banks continue to gamble with the cheap money the Fed provides instead of lending it for job-creating projects. Subsidized Chinese products are still flooding U.S. markets, destroying good-paying manufacturing jobs, and President Obama is reluctant to challenge Chinese protectionism. Similarly, he has not been willing to open up drilling for oil off the Atlantic, Pacific and much of the Gulf coasts. That keeps America dependent on imported oil, and sends consumer dollars abroad instead of creating jobs here. The quagmire of regulations grows worse, making it much easier to start businesses and hire workers in Asia than America. Fixing those would boost U.S. growth to 4% or 5% and quickly create 5 million jobs. 2. Easy Money and High Inflation Steals from the Elderly Easy money pushes down rates on CDs, where many retired Americans park savings to subsidize social security and pensions. More elderly today are working than at the turn of the century, and higher inflation will push more of them into the part-time job market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV