Its purchase of Skybox Imaging completes a trio of defense-related acquisitions over the last year.
These are the big three technologies in the next stage of national defense.Whether Google originally wanted to evolve into part of the defense establishment is not the point -- it's now a de facto part of that establishment. For investors, the policies of our defense establishment, and the politics behind them, are not the point either. Google is not going after military contracts the way companies such as Lockheed-Martin (LMT), Boeing (BA) or even General Electric (GE) do. Instead it has bought technologies of serious military interest, and the Department of Defense's interest in that technology did not end with Google's purchases. Google's search capabilities and cloud infrastructure are also essential elements in national defense. Control of cyberinfrastructure, and the talent that makes the most of that infrastructure, is now the very definition of national power. That's why Russia has Yandex (YNDX) and China has Baidu (BIDU). Google started with a mantra of "Don't be evil." So did the U.S., in different words, in the Declaration of Independence. What must be done to sustain a nation or business in a complex world always turns such black-and-white notions into shades of gray. As the reality of Google's new turn toward robots, drones and spy satellites has sunk in, its shares have begun to go sideways, with (GOOGL) down 2.02% and (GOOG) is down 3.2% so far this year, against a 3.8% gain for the Nasdaq. What this tells me is that investors are now in the process of deciding whether this trend is a positive or a negative for the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV