15 Minutes of Every Hour Meeting Are a Waste of Time
NEW YORK (TheStreet) ? You always suspected it, and now there's official backup: 15 minutes of every hourlong office meeting is a waste of time, according to Menlo Park, Calif.-based Robert Half Management Resources.
It's usually because meeting leaders don't stick to the agenda and don't express a clear purpose on the goals of a meeting.
That's not to say that meetings are a complete waste of time. It just means there is plenty of room for improvement, says Paul McDonald, senior executive director ay Robert Half.
"Certainly, meetings can provide value by offering a forum to highlight important updates, brainstorm new ideas and help employees build rapport among one another," he says.Too often, however, meetings serve as a fallback option, or a communications crutch, McDonald says. "In addition to sometimes being unnecessary, the discussions can easily go off track," he says. "It's just human nature, but people feel comfortable discussing their own agendas and engaging in small talk, and too few meeting leaders are effective at reining in the conversation. Meetings also commonly start late waiting for attendees to arrive, which means the gatherings end late, further eating into the day and showing a lack of respect for others' time." Also see: Fix a Problem, Enlist Your Clients and Other Tips to Starting a Business Also see: 4 Myths Getting In Your Way on the Corporate Ladder
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV