NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Priceline (PCLN) has been a prime example of one of my "best stocks now" for years. Priceline possesses that rare combination of momentum and value and positive sentiment. When I featured Priceline in my book back in 2011, Priceline shares were at $458 per share.
On Monday shares closed at $1,202.48, up nearly 4% for the year to date.
Priceline is the parent company of booking.com and kayak.com, among others. It added to that stable by making an offer to acquire OpenTable (OPEN) for $2.6 billion in an all-cash transaction. OpenTable is an online restaurant reservation service and everyone is talking about the potential synergies between the two companies, combining their travel and dining platforms.
But Priceline would not be able to acquire a company like OpenTable had it not been one of the biggest winners in the stock market over the last decade. The company now has a market cap of more than $64 billion. I do not currently own the stock at present but that doesn't take away from its impressive run of performance over the years.Priceline is in an elite group as one of my Best Stocks Now App trophy winners.
Data from Best Stocks Now App Over the last 10 years it has averaged 46% per year vs. 5.5% for the market. Over the last five years, while the market has returned 15.3%, PCLN returned 60.4% per year. The returns have been nothing short of phenomenal. On a three-year basis Priceline gained 35.5% per year while the market was up 14.9%.
Data from Best Stocks Now App
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV