He's winning a power struggle that shouldn't be taking place.
First, Costolo pushes out Twitter's COO. Shortly thereafter the head of media Chloe Sladden departs. This makes it appear as if C-level personnel is the problem and if Costolo can assemble the right team, under his leadership, Twitter can win. But this isn't so.
Twitter has core problems nobody can fix, described HERE, HERE and HERE. A series of snobby cliques that discourage engagement. An, as TheStreet's Herb Greenberg calls it, "arcane" platform. And advertising that amounts to worthless spam any client with a clue should be able to reproduce for free.Anything good (or bad) that happens on Twitter happens organically because of Twitter's users, not its employees. Delusional and egomaniacal Twitter executives didn't invent, say, second screening during television programs as much as they like to act like they did.
We plotted about how to make TV richer, participatory, a 360º experience. #VMAs #VoiceSave — Chloe Sladden (@ChloeS) June 13, 2014Memo to Chloe: Get over yourself. But, clearly, Costolo's ego doesn't see it this way. As such, it sure as heck won't let him do the right thing for investors and Twitter users and ... Sell the darn thing to Facebook (FB) before it's too late. The stories at the links -- and the links inside the stories at the links -- chronicle one part of the narrative I've been assembling since 2012. As Twitter goes up in smoke, hopefully somebody will finally listen. Follow @mynameisrocco --Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV